Six employees of a bakery were charred to death during the wee hours on Friday after a fire broke out inside the Bakes and Cakes Bakery in Kondhwa, Pune.
It is suspected that fire broke out due to short circuit.
The bakery owner had locked the doors from outside and employees failed to rescue themselves.
The bakery is located on the ground floor of nine-storey building. The employees slept on the mezzanine floor of the bakery. “As soon as the shutter was opened, we saw a huge fire inside and got information that there are bakery workers who were trapped at a loft inside the shop,” the fire officer said. The fire brigade personnel wore breathing apparatus sets and climbed a staircase inside to reach the victims.
“There were six workers, who were found in an unconscious state. They were rushed to the Sassoon General hospital, where they were declared dead,” said the officer. The deceased have been identified as – Ishad Ansari (26), Juned Ansari (25), Shanu Ansari (20), Zakir Ansari (24), Faeem Ansari (21) and Zishan Ansari (21).
“Since the main shutter was locked from outside, all the six got trapped inside and died of suffocation,” the fire official informed. Prima facie short-circuit is suspected to have caused the blaze. “We have registered a case and investigation is on,” an officer at Kondhwa police station said.