WASHINGTON: Google currently has no plans to launch a search engine in China, its Indian-American CEO Sunder Pichai told Chief Executive Sundar Pichai told a US congressional panel on Tuesday amid increased scrutiny of big tech firms.Google’s main search platform has been blocked in China since 2010, but the Alphabet Inc unit has been attempting to make new inroads into the country, which has the world’s largest number of smartphone users
“Right now, there are no plans to launch search in China,” Pichai told the US House of Representatives Judiciary Committee.But he added that internally Google has “developed and looked at what search could look like. We’ve had the project underway for a while. At one point, we’ve had over 100 people working on it is my understanding.”
A Chinese government official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said last month that it was unlikely Google would get clearance to launch a search service in 2019.